Environmental assessments help produce growers understand field conditions before and during harvest and evaluate and manage risks they identify. An environmental assessment includes visually monitoring and documenting observations of:
- animal intrusion
- condition of harvest tools and equipment
- worker health and hygiene practices
- sanitary facilities (restrooms and hand washing stations)
Several resources from the Leafy Green Marketing Agreement (LGMA) for building an environmental assessment program include:
- A pre-harvest assessment form
- A daily harvest assessment form
- An animal intrusion decision tree
- A workbook providing in-depth guidance on conducting a farm-based environmental assessment
A recorded webinar provides an overview of how to build an environmental assessment program.
Photo credit: Arizona Leafy Greens Food Safety Training Kit, Module 4.